Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Well I made it! I'm here in the UK and I'm loving it! The weather is nice, a bit rainy now and then, and the company is great! I had hoped to keep this updated daily but the lack of wifi in the hotel has made that difficult, I will try my best.

Getting here was quite the adventure! My flight from Seattle had a delayed leave time. The flight before had a large number of elderly people who needed wheelchair assistance to get off the plane. I made a joke about this plane coming from Florida, and it turned out I was right! After finally taking off about an hour after our scheduled time the flight went smoothly. I was seated next to a nice couple that had some interesting stories to tell. Strangely the woman reminded me of aunt, and talking with them helped me pass the five hours faster. The trouble with my flying experience started when we landed. Not only were we about a half hour late, but I hade roughly thirty minutes until my next flight left, I was in for a run. My flight had originally been only three gates down from where my first flight docked, only they moved my second flight, confidently for me to the FARTHEST gate from where I was! I literally ran across the air freaking out that I was goin to miss my flight to Heathrow. Luckily I made it with only a few moments to spare. I would soon learn that my running was in vain because apparently the east coast doesn't know how to handle a little rain, we were delayed on the Tarmac for two hours. I was not happy to say the least. Once the flight eventually took off it was all smooth sailing from there. I sat next to two girls from Ohio State, they had just graduated and provide nice conversation before we all tried to get some sleep. Roughly seven hours later we landed and began the incredibly long journey to the Heathrow baggage claim. Without over exaggerating I would say I walked through a mile of corridors before I reached the border check station. Of course I couldn't get through the border check without causing a stir, apparently they guy whose line I went to was not satisfied with me calling myself a student. After convincing him was there for educational purposes he stayed my passport and sent me on my way.

Day one in the UK, not much went down. We all met in terminal two of the airport, I was almost late because of my delayed flight, but most of us made it. One guy Ben had missed one of his flights and had also been delayed so he wouldn't show up for another five hours. Unfortunate my friend Britney arrived on time but her baggage did not, and apparently Ben's didn't either. They still have not received there luggage. I feel really bad for them, hopefully they get some news sometime soon. Afte what seemed like a two hour ride we arrived our hotel, it was a little smaller than I was expecting, but it's nice. We had some delicious dinner at a local pub down the street from our hotel. A place called Jack Horners, they had good bangers and mash! After that I hung out with some of the other trip mates and made my way to bed. I slept like crap! I'm not sure if it was jet lag or what but I only slept for like three hours before I woke up with a headache and couldn't sleep any more.

Day two in the UK, fun and full. I started my day at 5:30, that's when I decided to finally give up on getting any sleep. I took a shower, drank some tea, and watched BBC Parliment. I learned a little about Wales, the renaming of the Big Ben clock tower and the land owner system in Scotland. After a hearty breakfast I. The hotel we adventured out on a combined bus and walking tour. Our guide was very knowledgeable and had a lot of facts and great stories! Over all a good day! We had dinner at this fantastic Indian restaurant and I have never been happier. The food was to die for and rather cheap too. I've never had that good of Indian food and this place is the eldest in the UK! Great end to a good day, really looking forward to tomorrow!

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment